Sunday, October 17, 2010

Apple Picking

A few weeks ago we took a little adventure out past the Snake River Valley to find us some apple trees to pick from. Well it turned out to be quit the adventure, the orchard we went to was planted on a hunting club grounds to attract the deer about 20 years ago, since then the owners turned it into a shooting range. So we pulled up to the sounds of guns going off everywhere but were assured none near the apples, so Lydia, Kris and I grabbed our buckets and started picking. I think it took us 10 minutes to get 4 bushels of the best looking apples I have ever seen. The man had 7 varieties and we picked, Rome, Johnathan's, and Jonagold. We then or should I say I then proceeded to make 22 Quarts of Applesauce, 8 pints of apple butter and 6 Quarts of apple pie filling (I gave 2 bushels to Jackie, our neighbor) we had plenty left over that we have used to eat and make apple turnovers and caramel apples.
Here are some photos of us picking apples:






No comments: